If you are planning to update your kitchen countertops, you would be presented with a lot of options, with some more expensive than the other. A limited budget can limit your options like choosing between either ceramic tiles or laminate countertops. If you have to choose between the two, which one would be best? In this post, we will tackle the main differences between ceramic tile countertops and laminate countertops.
Ceramic Tile Countertops
A ceramic tile countertop is a budget-friendly option for your kitchen. If you are planning to use ceramic tiles as your kitchen countertop, choose bigger sizes. This way, you only have to deal with lesser seams, making it easier to maintain.
- It is an inexpensive countertop material.
- They are easier to install compared with granite slabs.
- You can choose from a wide variety of design options ranging from natural wood to real stones.
- The use of grout on the seams of the tiles is hard to clean.
- The ceramic tile is prone to cracking, and repair can be a hassle, sometimes requiring tile replacement.
If you want to install your countertops on your own to save on money, ceramic tiles are a good choice. Opt for newer porcelain or glass tiles to benefit from broader design options. If maintenance is an issue, then you might want to rethink using ceramic tiles.
Laminate countertop materials are thick layers of plastic laminate. The laminate is bonded to medium-density fiberboard or particleboard. Laminates are also a good option for those who want to have the freedom to choose from a wide variety of colors and styles.
- Laminate countertops are incredibly affordable.
- They are great for DIY projects.
- Available in thousands of patterns and colors.
- Some believe that laminate countertops can lower a home’s value.
- It can easily peel or chip.
- They are not ideal for placing hot items as they can easily scorch.
Laminate countertops are often frowned upon by homeowners and designers because they would often appear cheap. However, the latest technology in the laminate industry allows them to choose from a host of designs.
If you are aiming to choose between laminates and ceramic tile countertops, we suggest using ceramic tile as they are more presentable and durable compared with laminates. While ceramic tiles are a bit more expensive than laminates, you can save more from the lesser repair time.
Cabinet Craft has a lot of options for your kitchen countertops. Visit our showroom or call us for a free in-home estimate at 702-233-1888.